Below is a listing of frequently asked questions related to the athlete portal, student-athlete physicals, primary insurance requirements, secondary insurance, sickle cell trait, and ADD/ADHD medications.

Athlete Portal  |  Physical  |  Primary Insurance  |  Secondary Insurance  |  Sickle Cell Trait  |  ADD/ADHD


Athlete Portal FAQ

I am having trouble logging in for the first time using "new" for the username and password, what do I do?

If possible, DO NOT use Internet Explorer. Then, make sure you using lowercase "new" for both spaces. If you are still having trouble, restart your internet browser and check your pop-ups. After you enter "new" and "new" and there is a pop-up that comes up that you need to agree too before you can advance. "atslu" should be in the database space.

If you are using Internet Explorer and are having problems... Before logging in to the Athlete Portal (but while on the page) press the "alt" key on the keyboard. This will open the Menu Bar in your browser, then click "Tools". Select "Compatibility View" under the tools selections and you should see the page resize. You should now be able to log-in.

If you are still having trouble, please contact the Head Athletic Trainer.

I don't have my on campus address or SPC yet, how can I continue filling out the online form?

Simply put "unknown" in the box for LU address. Fill in Appleton, WI 54911, USA in the appropriate blanks. After you receive your LU address and SPC #, please log-in and enter the updated information. SPC #s are typically issued mid to late August.

I have filled out all the required information on the portal, but in the paperwork section there are no checkmarks indicating I have completed everything. How do I know I am good to go?

The paperwork section is filled out by the Athletic Training Staff once the information you submitted has been reviewed. Keep checking back for updates to the section to make sure you have everything completed. During the summer, this can take up to a week to be updated due to the amount of information coming in.

  Back to top


Physical Form FAQ

Where can I get the required Lawrence University physical form?

Several possibilities include:

  1. The ATS Athlete Portal has all the required forms.
  2. The Athletic Training office in Alexander Gymnasium.
  3. For first-year students, you can download the New-Student Form from the Health Services webpage.
  4. For returning students, you can download the Returning Student Athlete Medical History and Physical Form from the Returning Student-Athlete section.

What do I do about the August 1st deadline if my physical is scheduled after that date?

Please send all completed paperwork by the deadline and send or fax (920-832-7349) the physical form when it is complete. All paperwork submitted after the August 1 deadline for fall sports is subject to review before the student-athlete is allowed to participate. This means that the student-athlete may not be able to participate until 48 hours after all forms are received to allow for proper review. This is for the student-athlete's well-being.

I sent my physical to Lawrence right before I came to school. My first practice is tomorrow and you still do not have it because it is in the mail, what do I do?

You cannot practice until we receive your physical. We always advise you to BRING a copy with you if there is a chance we would not get it until after practice starts. Remember, as a first-year student, you will send your physical to Health Services and a copy to Athletic Training.

Can I wait to get a physical in Appleton rather than in my hometown with my own doctor?

Yes, but there are few choices and they require payment for this service. You will have to find a provider who is in your health insurance network. Please allow at least a few days to get in. Make sure you take our form for the doctor to fill out and complete. If you need assistance with this, please contact the Head Athletic Trainer.

I had a physical in the summer, but it is not on the Lawrence University physical form. What do I do?

We will accept the physical IF it clears you to participate in intercollegiate athletics, but PREFER that our form is used instead. You can also fax our form to your physician's office for them to fill out and return to us. We will not accept a note that says "cleared for intercollegiate athletics."

I had a physical last year; can I just use that one?

NO, you must have had your physical within six months of either (1) the first day of practice for fall sports or (2) the first day of classes or the first day of practice for winter and spring sports. For Transfer students, your physical date must be within six months of your first day of participation in athletics at Lawrence. Any physicals older than six months will not be accepted.

Why do physicals need to be conducted within six months of the participation date in athletics each year?

A student-athlete's medical history changes over time and the closer the exam is to the start of participation, the more accurate the information. The medical examination should ideally be performed at least 6 weeks prior to the start of activity to allow time for treatment and rehabilitation of identified problems. Six months has been identified as the limit by the NCAA. This allows institutions the flexibility to accommodate large number of student athletes arriving for the fall semester.

Do I need a new physical every year I compete at Lawrence University?

Yes, you do. For returning student-athletes we have free "Physical Updates" with our affiliated Orthopedic Surgeons and Family Practice Doctors.

If you miss the scheduled night, YOU must find and schedule your own physical. This may incur insurance or out of pocket fees.

Do I need to have all the immunizations listed on the physical form and athlete portal?

Yes, all immunizations required by the school must be on record or a waiver must be submitted.

My doctor forgot to sign and/or check the no restriction box on the physical form?

We cannot accept this without these two items being completed. You must get your doctor to fill in these vital areas before you will be allowed to try out for the team or begin practice.

Who may conduct the student-athlete's medical examination?

Any licensed medical physician may conduct the medical exam. A physician's assistant or nurse practitioner may administer the medical exam under the supervision and approval of a licensed medical physician.

  Back to top


Primary Insurance FAQ

What are the insurance requirements?

All Lawrence University student-athletes must provide evidence of a primary insurance policy that covers intercollegiate athletically-related injuries.

This is a prerequisite for practice and competition set forth by the NCAA. No student will be allowed to participate in any way until such evidence of current insurance coverage is on file with the Lawrence University Department of Athletics. This includes a photocopy of both sides of your insurance card and a more detailed insurance information which is entered in the Athlete Portal.

If you have questions regarding the terms of your coverage, you should contact your insurer immediately. Please be sure to note if there are any exclusions in your policy regarding  intercollegiate or athletically-related injuries or regional coverage. 

Will the insurance offered through the school cover my athletic participation?

NO, the accident and sickness insurance plan administered by Consolidated Health Plans offered by Lawrence University does not cover athletically related injures so therefore it is not a valid form of insurance for participation.

I do not have insurance, can I still play a sport at Lawrence University?

NO, you cannot play or practice until you have a valid insurance policy that meets the requirements above.

How do I know if a plan does not cover athletically related injuries?

The exclusions are located in the plan documents. Please read the list of exclusions for that policy and make sure read them thoroughly noting any sport type activity exclusions. Some policies exclude only extreme sports (sky diving, SCUBA, etc.) while others may exclude semi-pro or pro sports, and others exclude intercollegiate athletics specifically. The list of exclusions should be available prior to you purchasing the insurance, if not, please call the insurance company to obtain the exclusions.

How do I know if I am out of network?

Please review your primary health insurance policy regarding "out of state and/or out of area coverage" prior to your arrival at LU. This will help ensure that you have adequate, hassle-free coverage while you are here at school. In order to provide the best coverage and minimize problems (such as denial of treatment, or refusal of payment), it benefits all of us to be proactive and explore the possibility of modifying your current plan or purchasing additional insurance coverage to ensure the athlete will be fully covered away from home. Completing the Medical Facility Access form on the Athlete Portal will give us all a better understanding of how your policy will work in the Lawrence University area.

Where can I get insurance?

Most students have insurance through their parents' policy. If this is not possible, you can go anywhere to get a policy. Please, make sure it meets the requirements and covers you for the duration of the academic year. If you need help finding a policy, please contact the Head Athletic Trainer or see below.

There are very few companies that have short term policies that cover athletic injuries. Please make sure to read the exclusions and make sure that intercollegiate athletics is not excluded from coverage.  If you are looking for supplemental insurance, Short Term Policies typically limit elgibility to those who do not have any insurance. 

Allied National Short Term Medical Plan

For international student-athletes, there are some study abroad plans that cover athletic injuries.

HTH Travel Insurance: GeoBlue Navigator Health Plan
HCC Insurance StudentSecure: Budget, Select, and Elite Plans ONLY (NOT SMART)
Gouda Reseforsakring--For students who are in receipt of a grant for studies from the Swedish National Board of Student Aid (CSN) for studies at an educational institute abroad. The insurance is also available for students who are not in receipt of grant for studies from CSN, but who have been accepted to an educational institute abroad that would entitle grant for studies abroad from CSN.

What about the insurance through the NCAA?

The NCAA's Catastrophic Injury Insurance Program covers student-athletes who are catastrophically injured while participating in a covered intercollegiate athletic activity (subject to all policy terms and conditions). The policy has a $90,000 deductible. This coverage does not qualify as the basic coverage required for participation in athletics at Lawrence University. It is supplemental coverage in the event of a catastrophic injury. More information on this program can be found on the NCAA website.

My parents' insurance will be changing (sometime) during the season. What should I do?

You must notify the Athletic Training staff and update your Athlete Portal as soon as you know the new information so we can properly change it in your file.

My insurance has not changed since I gave you a copy of my insurance card last year. Do I need to give you a new photocopy or can you just carry over last year's copy?

As long as the athlete portal has the most up to date insurance card image, you do not need to resubmit.

If I get hurt playing a sport at Lawrence University and my insurance does not pay all my medical bills, will Lawrence University's insurance cover the balance, thus eliminating my out-of-pocket expenses?

NO, Lawrence University does not carry primary or secondary coverage on its student-athletes and will assume no responsibility whatsoever for the payment of, or authorization to pay, medical expenses resulting from injuries that occur while participating in intercollegiate athletics at Lawrence University. All athletes are required to carry their own medical insurance and are responsible for all costs incurred while playing sports.  EFFECTIVE AUGUST 1, 2017-Lawrence University will carry a secondary insurance policy.  

I am or my parents are active military or a veteran and have insurance through the Military or Veterans Administration, therefore, I have no insurance card. What do I do?

Simply bring us a photocopy of your military ID as proof of insurance.

The following are some known insurance plans that DO NOT cover athletically related injuries (updated April 2017).

Student Assurance Services: Blanket Student Accident & Sickness Plan

HCC Insurance Company: Short Term Medical, Atlas Travel, and StudentSecure Smart plans

Assurant Health: Short Term Health Insurance

UnitedHealth/UHOne/Golden Rule Short Term Policy

HCC/TokioMarine Short Term Medical Policy


    Back to top


Secondary Insurance FAQ--  Effective August 1, 2017

What is "secondary insurance" and why does LU have a policy?

Lawrence University Athletics purchases a policy with First Agency, Inc. to help cover athletic-related medical expenses. The concept of it is to prevent our student-athletes from incurring excessive out-of-pocket expenses due to athletic-related accidents and injuries. To do this, our plan covers expenses that might not be covered by a student-athlete's primary insurance plan. Our policy will cover services from any provider, for charges up to 100% Usual & Customary, as long as the provider bills your primary insurance first (creating an Explanation of Benefits (EOB) and itemized bill). This includes physicians in any insurance network, and other providers such as chiropractors, etc.

How do I become eligible? How does it work?

Every student-athlete is automatically covered by the plan as soon as they are medically cleared to participate. If they become injured while participating in an athletics practice or competition, the Athletic Trainer will assist them with filling out a claim form.

Why is there a fee for the secondary insurance?

To pay for the cost of the secondary insurance as well as other athletic medical services, each student-athlete will be billed $250 annually (regardless of the number of sports in which they participate) to their student account once it has been determined that the student-athlete has used a year of eligibility. According to NCAA legislation, a year of eligibility is used if a student-athlete is on a team roster for the first practice after the first regular-season game. A student-athlete who does not use a year of eligibility will be billed only if they have a claim towards the athletic insurance policy from an injury that occurred during preseason practice prior to using a year of eligibility. The secondary insurance plan ensures that every LU student-athlete has adequate insurance coverage up to the NCAA catastrophic plan.

Do I still need to have primary insurance since Lawrence Athletics has this secondary policy?

YES, you do. All student-athletes must still provide evidence of primary insurance that includes coverage for athletically-related injuries. This is a pre-requisite for practice and competition set forth by the NCAA. No student will be allowed to participate in any way until evidence of current insurance coverage is on file with the Lawrence University Athletic Training Office. Our secondary policy ONLY covers varsity athletic-related injury charges not paid by primary insurance. It does not cover any bills associated with general illness or non-athletic injuries.

Is there a deductible associated with the secondary policy?

No, there is a $0 deductible on the policy. This means that any varsity athletic injury medical charges, from $0-$90,000, not covered by your primary insurance, will be paid by this policy, up to 100% Usual & Customary.

What expenses does the secondary policy cover?

The policy is designed to cover most expenses beyond your primary insurance coverage for varsity athletic related accidents and injuries, up to charges of 100% Usual & Customary. This includes co-pays, co-insurance, deductibles, etc. Other covered expenses may include things like ambulance, imaging, hospital stay, surgery, physical therapy and emergency care. Speak to your Athletic Trainer for more details concerning the policy's schedule of benefits.

What doesn't the secondary policy cover?

Our secondary policy will not cover charges due to general illness, because these are usually not caused by Lawrence University athletics participation. Therefore, services for general "non-athletic" medical concerns (i.e. cold/flu, appendicitis) are not covered. Injuries sustained outside of athletics department organized and sanctioned activities (i.e., "captain's" practices) are not covered. In addition, injuries sustained during club sports and/or intramural sports activities are not covered.

Am I able to waive the secondary insurance policy?

No, student-athletes are not able to waive the policy. This is a requirement of participation for the benefit of all of our students who participate in varsity intercollegiate athletics for Lawrence University. We hope that you will never need this assistance, however, injury is a part of athletics participation. This insurance will substantially reduce, if not eliminate, excess out-of-pocket expenses in the event of injury due to varsity athletics competition.

Am I able to petition for financial assistance to pay for this policy?

Yes, we are aware that this may be a financial hardship. Information on the petition process will be coming shortly.

  Back to top


Sickle Cell Trait FAQ

What is Sickle Cell Trait?

It's a generally benign condition in which a person inherits from their parents one gene for the oxygen-carrying element in their red blood cells – hemoglobin – and one gene for sickle shaped hemoglobin. It is not the same as the more severe condition, sickle cell disease, in which both genes for sickle hemoglobin are inherited. Those with the trait experience normal healthy lives. Only in situations where the body is pushed to extreme conditions, as athletes do, can the trait sometimes cause red blood cells to sickle and block blood vessels, denying oxygen to muscles and organs. But in most cases, carriers of the trait live normal, healthy lives without incident. Please see the Sickle Cell Trait fact sheet for student-athletes or visit the Sickle Cell Trait page for more information

Why do I need to show proof of testing?

Starting August 1, 2013, all Division III schools must confirm the sickle cell trait status of incoming (new and transfer) student-athletes before participation in intercollegiate athletics. Starting August 1, 2014, all student-athletes must confirm their sickle cell trait status.

How can I show proof of testing?

Proof can be shown in one of three ways.

Documentation: The student-athlete may provide documented results of a sickle cell solubility test administered before participation.

Pending documentation: A student-athlete who has taken a sickle cell solubility test but whose results are not yet confirmed may participate provided the student-athlete engages in mandatory education, signs a waiver and receives appropriate precautions.

Opt-out: The student-athlete may sign a waiver declining confirmation of sickle cell trait status. Before signing a waiver, the student-athlete shall be provided education regarding the implications of exercising the waiver option. Before athletics participation, a student-athlete who signs a waiver under this provision shall engage in mandatory education regarding sickle cell trait status.

Where can I get the Sickle Cell Trait Testing and Waiver form?

The waiver is located in the e-forms section of the Athlete Portal, it is an online form.

Why do I need to be tested?

Lawrence University recommends that all student‐athletes who are unable to confirm their sickle cell trait status undergo sickle cell trait testing prior to participation in any intercollegiate athletic activity. Knowledge of sickle cell trait status can be a gateway to education and simple precautions that may prevent collapse among athletes with sickle cell trait, allowing you to thrive in your sport.

What if I don't know my test results or know if I was tested?

Actually, tests for sickle cell trait are currently performed on all newborns in the U.S., but few are aware of a positive result because the condition is not considered life threatening in most of the population. You may obtain results from testing performed as a newborn by following the contact information on this document: 50 States SCT Results

How can I get tested?

Sickle cell trait testing in the form of a blood test can be done by the student‐ athlete's primary care physician. The expense of the test is the responsibility of the student‐athlete.

What if I have been tested, but I do not have my results yet, can I still participate?

Yes, provided that the student-athlete engages in mandatory education, signs a waiver and receives appropriate precautions.

Will I still be able to participate if I test positive?

Student‐athletes who test positive for the trait will NOT be prohibited from participating in intercollegiate athletics.

What if I don't want to be tested?

Knowledge of sickle cell trait status can be a gateway to education and simple precautions that may prevent collapse among athletes with sickle cell trait, allowing you to thrive in your sport. However, it is ultimately your decision if you wish to know your status. If you choose not to provide results, you must simply sign the Sickle Cell Trait Testing Waiver.

  Back to top


ADD/ADHD Medication FAQ

I am currently taking medication for ADHD. What do I need from my doctor?

Please refer to the Banned Substance Exception Attachment for information required from your doctor.

Does a student-athlete need to have an updated letter from the prescribing physician on file each year of their eligibility?

Yes, an annual follow-up with the prescribing physician is the minimum standard, and that can be reflected in a letter from the physician or a copy of the medical record, with written indication of the current treatment.

Back to top