Facilities & Directions

Baseball, Softball, Track and Field

Whiting Field   Whiting Field  

Whiting Field
1100 East South River St., Appleton, WI 54915

Whiting Field has served as the home to multiple Lawrence University teams since just after World War I. The Lawrence football team, then known as the Blues because of the dark blue uniforms favored by legendary coach Mark Catlin (Lawrence teams became the Vikings in the late 1920s after a contest to name the teams was held by the student newspaper, The Lawrentian), played at Whiting Field through the 1964 season. Track and field still calls Whiting Field home, and the eight-lane track has been recently resurfaced. Whiting Field also serves as the home to both Lawrence baseball and softball. Baseball began playing at Whiting Field in 1958, and fastpitch softball started play on the site in 1981. Lawrence baseball has captured four Midwest Conference championships, and Lawrence softball has won three Midwest Conference crowns.

From the North:

  • Take Highway 41 and exit at Highway 441.
  • Follow Highway 441 approximately three miles and exit at Highway CE (College Avenue).
  • Go west on College Avenue and turn left at the intersection with John Street.
  • Go one block and turn right onto East South River Street.
  • Whiting Field is a quarter-mile up on the right.

From the South:

  • Take Highway 41 and exit at College Avenue.
  • Go east on College Avenue and through downtown Appleton past the Lawrence University main campus.
  • Immediately after crossing the College Avenue bridge, turn right at the intersection with John Street.
  • Go one block and turn right onto East South River Street.
  • Whiting Field is a quarter-mile up on the right.

Whiting Field East (baseball, softball, track and field) is to your right as you enter the driveway to the gym
Whiting Field West (alternate site for soccer) is to your left as you enter the driveway.

Don Hawkins Field (alternate site for baseball)

From the North or South:

  • Take Highway 41 and exit at College Avenue.
  • The field is located two blocks east of the intersection of Highway 41 and College Avenue.
  • It is the site of Appleton Legion Post 38.

 

Fox Cities Stadium (alternate site for baseball)

From the North or South:

  • Take Highway 41 and exit at Highway 15.
  • Go west on Highway 15 for a quarter-mile and turn left onto Casaloma Drive.
  • The entrance to the ballpark is a quarter-mile ahead on the left.

 

Football and Soccer 

    Banta Bowl

Ron Roberts Field at the Banta Bowl
1201 East Banta Court, Appleton, WI 54911

Ron Roberts Field at the Banta Bowl has served as the home for Lawrence football since 1965 and for men's and women's soccer since 2015. Originally called the Lawrence Bowl, the stadium was an anonymous gift from George Banta Jr. '10, and was renamed in his honor in 1978. The stadium was renamed Ron Roberts Field at the Banta Bowl to coincide with the renovation of the facility in 2015. The 3,634-seat stadium has its bleachers tucked neatly into the surrounding, tree-lined hillsides. When the fall season is in full swing, the colors of autumn light up afternoons in the Banta Bowl, forming a union between the game and the natural beauty surrounding it. The football teams at Lawrence have embraced the Banta Bowl and made it a home to champions. The Vikings have captured seven of their 16 Midwest Conference titles since moving into the stadium in 1965.

From the North:

  • Take Highway 41 and exit at Highway 441.
  • Follow Highway 441 approximately three miles and exit at Highway CE (College Avenue).
  • Go west on College Avenue and turn left at the intersection with John Street.
  • The Banta Bowl is located directly southwest of the intersection of College and John streets. 

From the South:

  • Take Highway 41 and exit at College Avenue.
  • Go east on College Avenue and through downtown Appleton past the Lawrence University main campus.
  • Immediately after crossing the College Avenue bridge, turn right at the intersection with John Street.
  • The Banta Bowl is located directly southwest of the intersection of College and John streets.

Please be aware that parking is limited in the Banta Bowl lot. Parking also available at the Mead Pool parking lot and the north side of Banta Court. No parking is allowed on the south side of Banta Court.

 

Swimming and Diving and Fencing 

  Wellness Center

Buchanan Kiewit Wellness Center
Lawrence University Main Campus

The Buchanan Kiewit Wellness Center is the home for Lawrence swimming and diving and men's and women's fencing. Completed in 1986, the Wellness Center houses Boldt Natatorium, which features an eight-lane pool with moveable bulkhead and a diving well. Boldt Natatorium is considered one of the finest facilities in the Midwest Conference. The 12,000-square foot gymnasium is used for fencing practice and competition. The building also features an elevated four-lane running track that is used by Lawrence's track teams during the winter.

From the North:

  • Take Highway 41 and exit at Highway CE (College Avenue).
  • Go east into downtown Appleton to the Lawrence University main campus.
  • The natatorium is inside the Buchanan Kiewit Wellness Center, which is located to the southwest of the intersection of College and Lawe streets.

 

From the South:

  • Take Highway 41 and exit at Highway CE (College Avenue).
  • Go east into downtown Appleton to the Lawrence University main campus.
  • The natatorium is inside the Buchanan Kiewit Wellness Center, which is located to the southwest of the intersection of College and Lawe streets.

 

Hockey

Appleton Ice Center

Appleton Family Ice Center
1717 East Witzke Blvd.,  Appleton, WI 54911

The Appleton Family Ice Center is one of the finest college hockey facilities in Wisconsin and in the Northern Collegiate Hockey Association. Opened in January 1999, the Appleton Family Ice Center gave the Vikings a new home. The Vikings skate on a 200x85 foot rink with heated seating for 1,000 spectators. Lawrence also has its own locker room at the facility, and the building has five other locker rooms.

From the North or South:

  • Take Highway 41 and exit at Ballard Road.
  • Turn south and go approximately a quarter-mile and turn right into the entrance for Memorial Park.
  • The Ice Center is located to the left just past the entrance to the park.

 

Basketball and Volleyball 

Alexander Gym   Alexander Gym

Alexander Gymnasium
1100 East South River St., Appleton, WI 54915

The Lawrence men’s and women’s basketball teams and volleyball team play in historic Alexander Gymnasium. The facility is named for L.M. Alexander, president of the Lawrence Board of Trustees from 1899 to 1932, and it was his generous gifts that allowed the facility to be built. Construction began in 1929 when the cornerstone was laid by Lawrence President Henry Merritt Wriston. The building was a showplace upon its completion and continues to serve the needs of the Lawrence Department of Athletics in the 21st century. Alexander Gymnasium also houses the offices of the Department of Athletics and the Lawrence University Intercollegiate Athletic Hall of Fame. The first thing one notices upon entering Alexander Gymnasium is the lobby. With its arched windows, high ceiling, and chandeliers, it is truly a grand entrance. The lobby leads into the gymnasium, which has two full-size basketball courts and seating for 1,100. Alexander Gymnasium also has been the site for Midwest Conference tournaments in both volleyball and basketball, the Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic Conference Championships for wrestling, the NCAA Division III Great Lakes Regional Wrestling Championships, and the NCAA Division III Midwest Regional Championships for fencing. Back in its early days, Alexander Gymnasium was unique in the fact that it had an indoor swimming pool and a track and field room. Both of those areas were converted to other uses during renovations. The pool is now the Green Room, which serves as the weight room, and the track and field room houses the offices of the Lawrence football program.

From the North:

  • Take Highway 41 and exit at Highway 441.
  • Follow Highway 441 approximately three miles and exit at Highway CE (College Avenue).
  • Go west on College Avenue and turn left at the intersection with John Street.
  • Go one block and turn right onto East South River Street.
  • The gym is a quarter-mile up on the right.

 

From the South:

  • Take Highway 41 and exit at College Avenue.
  • Go east on College Avenue and through downtown Appleton past the Lawrence University main campus.
  • Immediately after crossing the College Avenue bridge, turn right at the intersection with John Street.
  • Go one block and turn right onto East South River Street.
  • The gym is a quarter-mile up on the right.

 

Tennis 

Lawrence Courts

Lawrence Courts
Intersection of S. Drew Street and E. Water Street, Appleton, WI 54911

Lawrence tennis teams have been honing their games on the banks of the Fox River since 1939, and the facility underwent a full renovation in 2014. The six courts, which are located in a picturesque location next to the Fox River, were completely resurfaced with Nova’ProBounce. The new court surface, which is in use at tennis clubs all over the country, is an extremely high quality multi-layer product. The complex also received lights, a new windscreen and a new storage building.

From the North:

  • Take Highway 41 and exit at Highway 441.
  • Follow Highway 441 approximately three miles and exit at Highway CE (College Avenue).
  • Go west on College Avenue until you reach the main campus. Turn left on South Drew Street.
  • The courts are located at the bottom of the Drew Street hill.

 

From the South:

  • Take Highway 41 and exit at College Avenue.
  • Go east on College Avenue and through downtown Appleton.
  • Turn right on South Drew Street, which is at the end of the retail business area of College Avenue.
  • The courts are located at the bottom of the Drew Street hill.

 

Fox Cities Racquet Club
2915 N. Victory Lane, Appleton, WI 54913

From the North or South:

  • Take Highway 41 and exit at Northland Avenue. Head west one-quarter mile and turn right onto Casaloma Drive. Turn right onto Victory Lane and the club is on the left.