Gritty Vikings grab overtime tie with MSOE

Jake Drinkard Lawrence hockey action
Jake Drinkard scored twice in the tie with MSOE.

APPLETON, Wis. -- Lawrence University showed its grit and determination Saturday night and nearly grabbed an overtime win against MSOE in a Northern Collegiate Hockey Association game at the Appleton Ice Center.

The Vikings rallied four times to tie it, the last with the Lawrence net empty in the final minute of regulation, before coming away with a 4-4 tie against the Raiders.

Lawrence (5-14-2, 4-10-2 NCHA) got a goal from Jake Drinkard with 36 seconds left in regulation with an extra attacker on the ice to force overtime. 

The Vikings were whistled for cross checking in the overtime and were nearly done killing off the penalty when they intercepted a pass and had a two-on-one breakaway. Lawrence's Vincent Dekumbis was pulled down, and the Vikings were awarded a penalty shot with 46 seconds left.

Dekumbis looked like he had MSOE goaltender Logan Halladay beaten, but he got a piece of the puck before it deflected off the pipe to deny Lawrence the victory.

Lawrence goaltender Evan Cline finished with 44 saves for the Vikings, and Halladay stopped 32 shots for the Raiders (8-8-5, 3-8-5).

MSOE grabbed the lead just four minutes into the game, but Lawrence tied it at the 10:42 mark of the first. Zach Lodes split a pair of defenders before beating Halladay to tie the game at 1-1.

The Raiders struck back at the 16:42 mark, but Lawrence answered before the first period ended. Matt Meininger's low shot from the boards found the back of the net with 1:55 left and gave the Vikings a 2-2 tie after one.

The score stayed that way until the third when the Raiders scored just 1:54 into the period. Drinkard answered for the Vikings at the 8:04 mark to tie the game at 3-3. Nate Rogers' goal with 1:49 left put the Raiders up 4-3 and looked like it might be the game-winner.

Lawrence took a timeout and pulled Cline with 1:19 remaining, and the Vikings went to work with the extra attacker on the ice. It was Drinkard again as he redirected Daniel Gysi's shot from the point past Halladay with just 36 seconds left to force the overtime.