APPLETON, Wis. -- David Jumes' victory at No. 1 singles clinched the Lawrence University men's tennis team's 5-4 Midwest Conference victory over Monmouth College on Sunday at the Lawrence Courts.
The Vikings were leading 4-1 in the match when Jumes closed out Ronnie Griffin 6-3, 6-3 in the top singles match.
Lawrence (8-8, 2-2 MWC) got the match off to a strong start by winning two of the three doubles matchs. Jumes teamed with Bill Schuman-Kline for an 8-1 victory at No. 1, and Aidan Delgado and Cade Francour posted an 8-5 victory at No. 3.
Francour then downed Cole Pyatt 6-1, 6-1 at No. 5 singles, and Lawrence's David Brooker posted a 6-1, 6-0 victory over Alex Martin at No. 6 to put the Vikings in command.
Monmouth falls to 5-10 and 2-2 in the league.
Lawrence University 5, Monmouth College 4
1. David Jumes (LU) def. Ronnie Griffin (MC) 6-3, 6-3
2. Dylan Wong (MC) def. Bill Schuman-Kline (LU) 6-4, 6-1
3. Paulo Pliego (MC) def. Connor Maloney (LU) 6-4, 6-4
4. Saxon Day (MC) def. Aidan Delgado (LU) 6-0, 6-4
5. Cade Francour (LU) def. Cole Pyatt (MC) 6-1, 6-1
6. David Brooker (LU) def. Alex Martin (MC) 6-1, 6-0
1. David Jumes/Bill Schuman-Kline (LU) def. Ronnie Griffin/Dylan Wong (MC) 8-1
2. Saxon Day/Paulo Pliego (MC) def. Connor Maloney/David Brooker (LU) 8-3
3. Aidan Delgado/Cade Francour (LU) def. Cole Pyatt/Alex Martin (MC) 8-5