PEORIA, Ill. -- Connor Maloney's three-set victory at No. 2 singles Sunday lifted the Lawrence University men's tennis team to a 5-4 Midwest Conference victory over Monmouth College.
With the team score tied 4-4, Maloney posted a 6-3, 4-6, 6-2 win over Dylan Wong to clinch the victory for the Vikings, who improved to 11-7 overall and 5-1 in the Midwest Conference. Maloney and Bill Schuman-Kline were the only doubles winners for the Vikings as they scored an 8-3 victory at No. 1.
Schuman-Kline picked up a 6-0, 6-2 win at No. 1 singles to tie the match at 2-2. The Vikings then lost the next two matches before Matt Chan posted a 6-3, 6-1 victory at No. 6. Cade Francour then defeated Paulo Pliego 6-3, 6-3 at No. 4 to tie the team score at 4-4.
The Vikings have now won five consecutive matches and have moved into second place in the conference standings.
Lawrence University 5, Monmouth College 4
1. Bill Schuman-Kline (LU) def. Landon Walker (MC) 6-0, 6-2
2. Connor Maloney (LU) def. Dylan Wong (MC) 6-3, 4-6, 6-2
3. Joseph Shie (MC) def. Aidan Delgado (LU) 6-1, 6-1
4. Cade Francour (LU) def. Paulo Pliego (MC) 6-3, 6-3
5. Saxon Day (MC) def. Evan Oriel (LU) 6-2, 6-0
6. Matt Chan (LU) def. Zach Harris (MC) 6-3, 6-1
1. Bill Schuman-Kline/Connor Maloney (LU) def. Landon Walker/Dylan Wong (MC) 8-3
2. Saxon Day/Paulo Pliego (MC) def. Aidan Delgado/Cade Francour (LU) 8-5
3. Joseph Shie/Zach Harris (MC) def. Evan Oriel/Matt Chan (LU) 8-3