OSHKOSH, Wis. -- The Lawrence University men's tennis team came up on the wrong end of three tight matches Saturday, and that was the difference in a 5-4 Midwest Conference loss to Illinois College at the YMCA Tennis Center.
Lawrence trailed 2-1 after the doubles with the Vikings' win coming at No. 3 where Aidan Delgado and Andrea Arivella posted an 8-2 victory. Lawrence's Connor Maloney and Cade Francour lost a tough 8-6 decision at No. 1.
The Vikings got impressive singles wins from Delgado, Francour and Cam Strawn. Delgado was a 6-1, 6-2 victor at No. 2, Francour won 6-2, 6-4 at No. 3 and Strawn posted a 6-2, 6-1 win at No. 6.
The Vikings suffered a pair of tight losses at Nos. 4 and 5 singles. Evan Oriel won the first set 6-2 but dropped the next two 7-5 and 6-0. Chan lost a pair of tight sets, 6-4 and 7-6, in his match at No. 5.
Illinois College 5, Lawrence University 4
1. Miguel Vaca (IC) def. Connor Maloney (LU) 6-3, 6-3
2. Aidan Delgado (LU) def. Jonah Wheeland (IC) 6-1, 6-2
3. Cade Francour (LU) def. Michael Connolly (IC) 6-2, 6-4
4. Cameron Doerr (IC) def. Evan Oriel (LU) 2-6, 7-5, 6-0
5. Jacob McQueen (IC) def. Matt Chan (LU) 6-4, 7-6
6. Cam Strawn (LU) def. Connor McAndrew (IC) 6-2, 6-1
1. Miguel Vaca/Michael Connolly (IC) def. Connor Maloney/Cade Francour (LU) 8-6
2. Jonah Wheeland/Cameron Doerr (IC) def. Evan Oriel/Matt Chan (LU) 8-4
3. Aidan Delgado/Andrea Arivella (LU) def. Jacob McQueen/Connor McAndrew (IC) 8-2