KENOSHA, Wis. -- The Lawrence University men's tennis team swept the doubles matches Sunday en route to a 5-4 Midwest Conference over Lake Forest College at the LifeSport Athletic Club.
Lawrence started the match with a 3-0 lead thanks to the play of its doubles teams. The No. 1 team of Connor Maloney and Cade Francour posted an 8-5 victory and the No. 2 team of Evan Oriel and Matt Chan and the No. 3 squad of Aidan Delgado and Andrea Arivella both won 8-7. Each Lawrence duo took the tiebreaker 7-5.
Lawrence (9-8, 4-2 MWC) then wrapped up the match with wins in the first two singles matches to be completed. Delgado rolled to a 6-2, 6-0 victory at No. 2, and Francour clinched the match with a 6-4, 6-0 victory at No. 3.
The victory moved the Vikings into a tie for third place in the conference standings, and Lake Forest finishes its conference season at 6-2 (11-9 overall).
Lawrence University 5, Lake Forest College 4
1. Matt Kacyn (LFC) def. Connor Maloney (LU) 6-4, 6-2
2. Aidan Delgado (LU) def. Aidan Burke (LFC) 6-2, 6-0
3. Cade Francour (LU) def. Joe Bove (LFC) 6-4, 6-0
4. Chase Garber (LFC) def. Evan Oriel (LU) 6-2, 6-1
5. Brant Christensen (LFC) def. Matt Chan (LU) 6-4, 7-6 (7-2)
6. Matthew Pawlowski (LFC) def. Cam Strawn (LU) 1-6, 7-6 (7-3), 1-0 (10-5)
1. Connor Maloney/Cade Francour (LU) def. Matt Kacyn/Brant Christensen (LFC) 8-5
2. Evan Oriel/Matt Chan (LU) def. Aidan Burke/Chase Garber (LFC) 8-7 (7-5)
3. Aidan Delgado/Andrea Arivella (LU) def. Carson Chen/Joe Bove (LFC) 8-7 (7-5)