APPLETON, Wis. -- The Lawrence University men's tennis team downed Ripon College 7-2 in a Midwest Conference match on Saturday at the Lawrence Courts, and coach Steve Francour hit a milestone in the process.
Francour, who is in his sixth season at Lawrence, collected win No. 300 in his men's tennis coaching career. Francour is in his 29th season and spent the first 23 coaching at his alma mater, UW-Oshkosh. Lawrence (11-8, 6-2 MWC) also clinched the No. 2 seed in the Midwest Conference Tournament and will face Lake Forest College in the semifinals.
Lawrence left little doubt against the Red Hawks (2-10, 1-7) as the Vikings raced out to a 3-0 lead after the doubles matches. The Lawrence teams of Connor Maloney and Cade Francour at No. 1, Evan Oriel and Matt Chan at No. 2 and Andrea Arivella and Aidan Delgado at No. 3 lost just three games total in the three matches.
Cade Francour led the way in singles as he posted a 6-0, 6-0 victory at No. 2. Chan was a 6-1, 6-0 winner at No. 4, Cam Strawn won 6-2, 6-2 at No. 6 and Arivella cruised to a 6-1, 6-1 victory at No. 6.
The victory was Lawrence's 11th consecutive victory over Red Hawks.
Lawrence University 7, Ripon College 2
1. Drew Jorgensen (RC) def. Connor Maloney (LU) 4-6, 6-4, 1-0 (12-10)
2. Cade Francour (LU) def. Junmo Kwon (RC) 6-0, 6-0
3. Preston Wurtz (RC) def. Evan Oriel (LU) 6-4, 3-6, 1-0 (10-6)
4. Matt Chan (LU) def. Adrian Granados (RC) 6-1, 6-0
5. Cam Strawn (LU) def. Marcus Austin (RC) 6-2, 6-2
6. Andrea Arivella (LU) def. Daniel Garcia (RC) 6-1, 6-1
1. Connor Maloney/Cade Francour (LU) def. Marcus Austin/Drew Jorgensen (RC) 8-2
2. Evan Oriel/Matt Chan (LU) def. Junmo Kwon/Adrian Granados (RC) 8-1
3. Andrea Arivella/Aidan Delgado (LU) def. Preston Wurtz/Daniel Garcia (RC) 8-0