MADISON, Wis. -- The Lawrence University men's tennis team earned a berth in the Midwest Conference Tournament championship match Friday with a 6-2 victory over Lake Forest College in the semifinals at Nielsen Tennis Stadium.
Lawrence took a 2-1 lead after the doubles and closed out the Foresters with wins in the top three singles flights.
The Vikings opened the match with a pair of convincing doubles victories. Connor Maloney and Cade Francour won 8-2 at No. 1, and Aidan Delgado and Andrea Arivella were 8-1 winners at No. 3 for the Vikings.
Delgado opened with singles with a 6-2, 6-0 victory at No. 2, and Maloney followed with a 6-2, 6-3 win at No. 1 to give the Vikings a 4-1 lead. After the Foresters won at No. 4, Francour closed out the Foresters with a 7-6, 6-3 victory at No. 3. Lawrence's Matt Chan also picked up a 6-2, 7-5 win at No. 5 when play was stopped.
Lawrence is in the conference championship match for the first time since 2013. The Vikings improved to 12-8 on the season, and Lake Forest finished with a 12-10 record.
Lawrence University 6, Lake Forest College 2
1. Connor Maloney (LU) def. Matt Kacyn (LFC) 6-2, 6-3
2. Aidan Delgado (LU) def. Aidan Burke (LFC) 6-0, 6-2
3. Cade Francour (LU) def. Joe Bove (LFC) 7-6, 6-3
4. Chase Garber (LFC) def. Evan Oriel (LU) 6-4, 6-4
5. Matt Chan (LU) def. Matthew Pawlowski (LFC) 6-2, 7-5
6. Cam Strawn (LU) vs. Mawande Mayiga (LFC) 5-7, 6-1, 4-0, unfinished
1. Connor Maloney/Cade Francour (LU) def. Matt Kacyn/Brant Christensen (LFC) 8-2
2. Aidan Burke/Chase Garber (LFC) def. Evan Oriel/Matt Chan (LU) 8-4
3. Aidan Delgado/Andrea Arivella (LU) def. Carson Chen/Joe Bove (LFC) 8-1