RIPON, Wis. -- The Lawrence University men's tennis team showed its depth Sunday in a 6-3 nonconference victory over Dominican (Ill.) University at the Willmore Center.
Playing without three starters, the Vikings saw some rookie players step into the lineup and collect their first collegiate victories. Lawrence first-year Sal Vargas was a winner in singles and doubles, and fellow first-year Jonathan Hogan picked up a doubles victory.
Lawrence swept the doubles with Connor Maloney and Evan Oriel leading the way with an 8-5 win at No. 1. Vargas teamed with Cam Strawn for an 8-4 win at No. 2, and Hogan teamed with Yang Zhao for an 8-5 win at No. 3.
Vargas also got his first career singles win with a 6-4, 6-4 victory over Eric Sigaran at No. 4. Maloney downed Alex Tobias 6-3, 6-2 at No. 1, and Strawn clinched the team victory with a 6-4, 6-3 win over Antonio Morales at No. 3.
Lawrence improved to 4-3 on the season.
Lawrence University 6, Dominican (Ill.) 3
1. Connor Maloney (LU) def. Alex Tobias (DOM) 6-3, 6-2
2. Brandon Pineda (DOM) def. Evan Oriel (LU) 6-1, 6-1
3. Cam Strawn (LU) def. Antonio Morales (DOM) 6-4, 6-3
4. Sal Vargas (LU) def. Eric Sigaran (DOM) 6-4, 6-4
5. Joshua Sapnu (DOM) def. Yang Zhao (LU) 5-7, 7-5, 1-0 (10-3)
6. Andre Duran (DOM) def. Jonathan Hogan (LU) 6-2, 6-4
1. Connor Maloney/Evan Oriel (LU) def. Brandon Pineda/Antonio Morales (DOM) 8-5
2. Cam Strawn/Sal Vargas (LU) def. Alex Tobias/Diego Martinez (DOM) 8-4
3. Yang Zhao/Jonathan Hogan (LU) def. Eric Sigaran/Joshua Sapnu (DOM) 8-5