APPLETON, Wis. -- The Lawrence University women's tennis team opened the spring portion of its season Friday night with a 5-4 nonconference loss to UW-Stout at Fox Cities Racquet Club.
Stout rallied to win the final two matches to secure the victory.
Lawrence started strong as the No. 1 doubles team of Margot Connor and Emma Koppa and the No. 2 team of Lauren Aturaliya and Amelia Watson both posted wins. Connor and Koppa were 8-5 winners, Aturaliya and Watson won 8-7 to stake the Vikings to a 2-1 lead heading into the singles matches.
Stout won at Nos. 1 and 3 singles to grab the lead back, but Watson won 6-4, 7-5 at No. 5 and Alexis Shannon won 7-5, 6-2 at No. 6 to give the Vikings a 4-3 edge. Stout then closed with wins at Nos. 2 and 4 to take the win. The Blue Devils won super-tiebreakers at both Nos. 3 and 4 singles.
UW-Stout 5, Lawrence University 4
1. Lauren Couves (STOUT) def. Margot Connor (LU) 6-2, 6-1
2. Annie Sandry (STOUT) def. Lauren Aturaliya (LU) 7-6, 6-3
3. Mariah Kent (STOUT) def. Emma Koppa (LU) 1-6, 6-3, 1-0 (10-7)
4. Emily Preston (STOUT) def. Morgan Fisher (LU) 5-7, 6-4, 1-0 (10-5)
5. Amelia Watson (LU) def. Kylie Rennie (STOUT) 6-4, 7-5
6. Alexis Shannon (LU) def. Kyrstin Hanson (STOUT) 7-5, 6-2
1. Margot Connor/Emma Koppa (LU) def. Lauren Couves/Mariah Kent (STOUT) 8-5
2. Lauren Aturaliya/Amelia Watson (LU) def. Annie Sandry/Kylie Rennie (STOUT) 8-7
3. Emily Preston/Kyrstin Hanson (STOUT) def. Morgan Fisher/Alexis Shannon (LU) 8-6